Our office is dedicated to providing you with the best options we can find to support a healthy and happy smile. To that end, we utilize our on-site generated ozone in a variety of formats to support your health.
What is Ozone? How does it work?
Ozone (O3) is an elemental form of oxygen and the molecule is formed from 3 oxygen atoms. It is a powerful oxidant that is far more reactive than the oxygen in the air (O2) and is able to break down the cell membranes of bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites, which have little to no antioxidant enzymes. In contrast, healthy cells in your mouth have antioxidant enzymes and are not affected by the ozone. Ozone supports dental health by reacting with bacteria in the mouth to break down bacteria and clean your tissues while also acting in a preventative manner by eliminating the environment supportive to anaerobic bacteria in the first place.
According to the American College of Integrative Medicine and Dentistry, water treatment research in Europe found that ozone kills pathogenic organisms 3500 times faster than chlorine with no toxic side effects and no toxic byproducts.
Medical studies on ozone demonstrate benefits including:
- Improved wound healing
- Improved immune system response
- Increased delivery of oxygen to hypoxic tissues
Dental Applications of Ozone Therapy:
- Periodontal Disease
- Tooth decay
- Infected Teeth
- Tooth Sensitivity
- TMJ Inflammation
- Oral lesions
Why and How do we use Ozone ?
Our office uses ozone in three forms: Ozone gas for eliminating bacteria and decay in restorative appointments, ozonated water in all operatories to sterilize and provide additional benefits during your preventative cleanings, and ozonated olive oil, which can be purchased in the office and applied topically at home to help heal tissue after an extraction or other procedures.
What can Ozone (gas) Therapy help with?
- Periodontal disease - bacteria far below the gum line is a persistent challenge - you can’t reach it at home and sometimes the only option seems to be gum surgery. Ozone gas is able to reach deep into the tissues of the gum to eliminate bacteria and support gum health. Combined with good home care and regular cleanings, this can vastly improve the health of your gums and reduce the need for more invasive procedures.
- Fillings and Crowns - when removing decay, ozone eliminates bacteria, sterilizing the area and reducing post-operative sensitivity and pain. The ozone gas permeates the tubules of the tooth and the pockets of the gum to provide effective and conservative sterilization while also supporting rapid recovery and improving long-term results.
- Sensitivity - tooth sensitivity can be caused by a variety of factors, including compromised tooth and gum structure. Ozone therapy removes bacteria from the tooth and gum, strengthening the structure of the tooth and reducing sensitivity.
- Canker sores - localized ozone injections can significantly reduce duration and discomfort of canker sores, often allowing them to clear up in a matter of days or even hours, depending on how quickly you catch them.
- Extractions - ozone supports rapid tissue healing and recovery from the extraction, allowing the extraction site to recover quickly and effectively by removing any local bacteria and infusing the tissues with oxygen and reducing opportunities for infections.
- Ozonated olive oil - an excellent adjunct that you can apply at home for the benefit of ozone to help speed up tissue recovery!
Why do we use Ozonated Water in all of our Operatories?
- Your health - ozonated water helps flush out and eliminate bacteria on the surfaces of your teeth and along the gum line, supporting your overall oral health and reducing the risk of progressive gum disease or tooth decay. Win-win!
- Your comfort - utilizing this ozonated water during cleanings and dental procedures can help reduce sensitivity and inflammation, making your visit to our office more pleasant and comfortable! Consider it a mini-spa for your smile.
- Your safety - in addition to the health and comfort benefits, ozonated water is a sterilization tool when used in dental equipment and water lines, preventing the buildup of biofilms in the water containers and ensuring that you have the cleanest possible option to rinse your pearly whites!
Do you think that ozone therapy would be useful for you? Ask our team at your next visit whether ozone might be appropriate for you and they will be happy to review treatment options with you!