We are lucky to live in an area with easy access to fresh and delicious produce from local farms, well-raised animals from nearby ranches, a wide variety of stores and markets to buy our groceries, and tons of amazing restaurants right within walking distance. Fresh, whole foods are not only delicious, they are also rich in nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants that support your teeth and bones, skin and hair, muscles, immune system... your whole body!
Many of our patients are very interested in nutrition and curious about how to select items that will maximize their oral and overall health right at the dinner table. Here are some of our articles for when shopping for food:
- Want to learn more about what organic means, why it matters, how to find it and when it makes a difference? Read our detailed article: Organic - What, Why, How & When?
- Confused about all the labels on animal products? Want to understand the difference between conventional, free-range, grass-fed, organic an others? Read Labeling Lingo
- Ready to take your new-found knowledge out for a spin? Check out Where to Shop for a guide to local markets and grocery stores that work with nearby farms to find the freshest produce and animal products. (Stay tuned - Detailed article coming soon!)
- When reading the ingredients label, a good rule of thumb is: The shorter the list (and the more recognizable the ingredients), the better. Want to learn more about what some commonly added ingredients are and which to avoid? Check out our guide on Ingredients to Avoid. (Stay tuned - Detailed article coming soon!)
- Check out our guide to Variety in the Kitchen for tips on how to include more variety in your diet - it's a great way to expand your taste buds and make sure you are getting a wide variety of vitamins and minerals in your diet. (Stay tuned - Detailed article coming soon!)